Monday, July 20, 2009

"No boyfriend? I guess that means there is no one to miss you."

Thanks again George. I like to think that there are people other than a boyfriend that would have missed me while I am here. Like my friends, or family... but I guess not.

As the summer draws to a close (one week left at the site and then one week left for exploration), I realize that I have missed many people while I've been here! But I wouldn't trade this experience for anything. Unfortunately, I feel like it has taken 4-5 weeks to get completely situated here, and now there is not enough time left for all of the things I want to do, but I'm at least glad I got to this point.

It took me about the first month here to realize that I would need to be in Uganda for a lot longer than two months to affect these people in a way I could deem meaningful. Don't get me wrong - I didn't actually think I was going to save the world in two months, but I hadn't realized the small scope of what I would actually be able to accomplish. It was at that moment that I knew I would not be able to help the people here as much as I wanted, but that didn't mean that they couldn't help me learn.

By the time I leave I will have conducted an HIV test, visited patients on ART in their homes, seen the challenges of microfinance initiatives first hand, and felt the pain of a grandmother living with 9 dependents. I can’t say that I changed anyone’s life – but I know that these people here have affected mine.

No comments: