Saturday, July 16, 2011

Malaria

                So I thought that I was doing fairly well here and I really felt like I was becoming a part of the culture by truly living here for 2 months opposed to just visiting for a few weeks.  Well now I think that I can officially say that I have experienced Uganda since I discovered that I have malaria.  All of the interns travelled together this past weekend and had a wonderful time, but on our way back home on Sunday I thought I was dying.  We ended up going to a clinic Sunday evening and my blood test came out positive for malaria.  I have to say that the past week has been very scary and uncomfortable.  I am feeling much better now and I get my last blood test tomorrow to make sure that I nipped it in the bud, but this past week really stunk.  I was in a clinic that was not clean by American standards and I had to be on an IV for 4 days.  The nurses did not speak English and they really didn’t check on me so let’s just say that figuring out what they were giving me and going to the bathroom were not easy tasks.  I will never take American Health Care for granted again, nor will I fail to appreciate the fact that malaria does not exist in the U.S.  Unfortunately, 13% of adolescents under the age of 5 die in Uganda and malaria is the number one killer of children under 5.  After having it I understand why it could take a toll on children.  You feel like you got hit by a bus.  Anyway, Georgia and Njeri, two of the interns in Mukono, have been taking great care of me.  I have stayed with them for the past week since I could not be treated in the village where I am placed and I am so grateful to have had them this past week.  They have been true friends and have dealt with my tears and complaining.  I do not know what I would have done without them and I owe them big time.  Other than that, not much is new.  I have simply been in bed for the past week and I cannot wait to get back to Katosi and finish strong.  I have two weeks left, which should be just enough time to finish all of our projects.  I will be sad to go, but after getting sick and struggling to get better I admit that I miss home and I am very excited to see everyone soon.  Until next time.  I miss everyone so much and I cannot wait to see you all.

-Kristen     

No comments: