Saturday, May 22, 2010

48 Hours Until Departure!

I'm leaving in less than 48 hours, and I JUST started getting my stuff together for this summer. The longest trip I've ever been on was 14 days, so I didn't anticipate how hard it would be to cram every thing I will need for the next 2 months into ONE suitcase. I'm known to pack enough stuff for a small army, even if I'm just going on a weekend trip, so condensing my life into a small bag could require a lot of strategic planning. After browsing the aisles of Target, Marshalls, and REI for a few hours, I've finally checked everything off my list of things to pack.

Like Emily, I've been eating every thing I possibly can since I got home to Durham. I'm trying to get as sick of Ice Cream and Bruegger's Bagels as I can, so I won't miss them too much this summer.

In addition to eating my body weight, I've been going through a variety of emotions over the past couple weeks. At any given time I might be nervous, excited, stressed out, or any combination of the three. The most "rugged" trip I've ever taken was a week long camping trip to Ocracoke Island, so I think I'm in for a bit of a rude awakening in a few short days. However, once I get over the initial culture shock and hot shower withdrawal, I'm positive that this will be an AMAZING experience. Even though my childhood obsession with The Lion King started my love for Africa, I know there's a lot more to it than wild animals and beautiful scenery.

At this point, I don't have many interesting things to say. Hopefully my blogging will improve once I'm there. Until then, wish me (and my luggage) luck with getting to Uganda in one piece!


No comments: